Monday, March 19, 2012

ENEGREN BREWING COMPANY

A friend of mine and I tasted beer at EBC yesterday in Moorpark.   It was a  fun time in a local brewery.

They were pouring Saison, Altbier, and Imperial IPA.  



Here are the beer descriptions from their website (www.enegrenbrewing.com). 

Golden Spur Saison
Golden Spur Saison is light in color but full in flavor. We use a Belgain Saison yeast fermented warm for enhanced yeast flavor - and at 6.7% ABV this beer has a ton of flavor.

Valkyrie California Altbier
German Altbier with a California twist - a traditional German Altbier with more malt, more alcohol and a California Ale yeast fermented cold.

Protector Imperial IPA
Unlike most IPAs brewed on the West Coast - our IPA not only has a ton of hops (100 IBUs) but is brewed with a strong malt backbone to help balance out the bitterness.

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Saison, but their version was very drinkable and would be great in the summer.   I have always liked, and even brewed, Altbiers. The way they have added more malt to their Altbier works for me.  My favorite style of beer is IPA/Imperial IPA and the Protector Imperial IPA is a very nicely balanced brew.  I think there are stronger IPAs out there, but this one is excellent, even if a little lighter than what I'm used to in an Imperial IPA.  I agree with the 2 reviews on Beer Advocate that list citrus flavor and medium-full body.  We bought a 2 liter growler of it for home consumption and it lasted all of a few hours after getting home!

Chris and the rest of the crew are nice to talk to and will give you the full tour if you're interested.  I highly recommend trying their beer next time you're at many of the local pubs in the Oxnard - Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area.

No comments:

Post a Comment