Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Conejo Wine & Jazz Festival Preview


I’m looking forward to meeting the winemakers from Consensio, Millesime, Vines of the Marycrest, and Roxo Port at the Conejo Wine & Jazz Festival this
Sunday, May 20th. Some of the wineries that I visited earlier this year are signed up to pour their wines and I thought I'd share some tasting tips…

You’re in for a treat if Cielo pours their Honey Pie blend of white wines (45% Chardonnay, 40% Sauvignon Blanc, and 15% Muscat).  It’s a little bit sweet and the most unique wine I’ve encountered on the Malibu Wine Trail. The "Estate Flight" wines are all super - especially the 2009 Cielo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve.

Herzog is bound to have some very special wines available to taste.  They produce over 40 wines with different levels of quality and different price points in their Baron Herzog, Special Reserve, Limited Edition, and Library Wines.  A few wines that I enjoyed at their Tierra Sur Restaurant are the 2009 Herzog Special Reserve Chardonnay, Russian River and the 2008 Herzog Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley.

Magnavino has a very good selection of red and white wines that I’ve sampled at their tasting bar.  A couple of favorites that I currently have in my wine cellar are the 2010 Viognier, Lodi and the 2009 Petite Sirah, Lodi. I also enjoy their 2009 Zinfandel, 2009 Tempranillo, and 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.

Rancho Ventavo makes a lot of nice red wines; unfortunately, they don’t make white wines though. I really enjoyed their 2006 Cabernet Franc, Central Coast and 2008 Mouvedre, Santa Barbara County wines paired with food at the Local Food & Wine Challenge in Ventura earlier this year.  I don’t see the Mouvedre on their website any longer, but all of their red wines are worth tasting.

A great way to try something different will be at J. Hamilton’s Custom Wine Blends.  They offer a variety of reds that produce an interesting array of blended wines.  I recently enjoyed tasting one of their main ingredients, a 2010 Napa “Red Wine.”



See you there!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment